Nortel's WLAN Handset 2210 is a standard-level wireless device designed for premises-based mobile communication in the workplace. The full-featured and lightweight handset supports a robust set of telephony capabilities for voice and data communication via WLAN IEEE 802.11b access points. The WLAN Handset 2210 is optimized for application in the general office, financial or hospitality industries.
- Designed for use as a premises-based device, the WLAN Handset 2210 telephony capabilities are fully integrated with Nortel Communication Server platforms
- Delivers high quality voice communication over standards-based IEEE 802.11b Wireless LAN infrastructures
- Helps improve mobility, responsiveness and productivity of employees as they move across the facility or campus
- WLAN handset supports advanced telephony features and functionality similar to the Nortel IP Phone 1140E or IP Phone 2004 desksets
- Ease of use with minimal training via familiar Nortel IP Telephony feature usage and provisioning
- Selection of WLAN handset accessories (i.e. single-slot or dual-slot desktop chargers, configuration cradle, headset, and belt clips)
Features & Benefits
Nortel's WLAN Handset 2210 supports a broad range of market applications, from general office to financial, education, healthcare, and hospitality environments.
- Fully backlit pixel-based display, menu driven interface, side up/down navigation with select key, and four context-sensitive softkeys
- Support for Nortel communication server-based features including: Corporate Directory, Personal Directory, Callers List, Redial List, and Virtual Office Login*
- Display top line status indicators provide quick notification of WLAN radio signal strength, voicemail messages, lines in use, and battery power remaining
- 2.5mm jack for handsfree headset operation
- User selectable ringtones or silent ring vibration options
- Robust security options with support for WEP, WPA™-PSK, WPA2™-PSK, and Cisco Fast Secure Roaming (FSR)
- Quality of Service (QoS) with WLAN IP Telephony Gateway 2245 (using SVP) or with 802.11e Wi-Fi Multimedia™ (WMM®)
- Access to critical information from anywhere within the facility or campus using OAI with WLAN Application Gateway 2246
- Supports an interchangeable nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) rechargeable battery
- Over-the-Air firmware updates with further handset configuration support via the WLAN Handset 2200 Series Configuration Cradle hardware and software (Windows PC with software connects to the WLAN Handset 2200 Series Configuration Cradle via serial port interface)
*These functions are provided on the WLAN Handset when deployed on Signaling Server architecture with CS 1000 Release 4.0 or later
Business Communications Manager 50 Rls 2.0 or later
Business Communications Manager 200/400 Rls 3.6 or later
Communication Server 1000 Rls 3.0 or later
Communication Server 2000 Rls SN09 or later
Communication Server 2100 Rls SE09 or later
Survivable Remote Gateway 50 Rls 1.0 or later
Survivable Remote Gateway 200/400 Rls 1.0 or later
128 x 64 pixel, fully-backlit, monochrome Liquid Crystal Display (LCD)
Backlit LCD with local contrast settings enhances viewing
Display top line status indicators provide quick notification of:
On-screen display of user extension while WLAN handset is idle
Fixed and Soft Label Keys
User-selectable ringtones (with eight-step volume control) or silent ring vibration options
Manual or Auto keypad lock (Auto lock delay can be configured for 5, 10, or 20 seconds)
Wireless standards compliance
Wireless supported data rates* , modulation, and modulation types
Radio Frequency (RF) output power (peak)**
100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, 5 mW
Wireless frequency range** and supported number of channels****
2.4 – 2.4835 GHz
Open Application Interface (OAI)
Wireless Quality of Service (QoS)
Configuration and setup
Integrated site survey tool displays the signal strength, MAC address, and other parameters of usable access points in the vicinity of the WLAN handset.
Handset local Administration Menu with password-protected access
Over-the-Air firmware updates
Handset setup and configuration support via the WLAN Handset 22xx Configuration Cradle requires:
Configuration Cradle application software for Windows PC (available to registered users via the nortel.com Technical Support Portal)
WLAN Handset 22xx Configuration Cradle with Serial cable and local power supply (items purchased separately)
Dimensions and Weight (approximate)
The WLAN Handset 2210 supports an interchangeable nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) rechargeable battery.
The Battery Pack is specifically designed for use in the WLAN Handset 2210 and cannot be used with other WLAN Handset 22xx models.
Handset/Battery Charger options
Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP)
Domain Name System (DNS)
Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP)
Audio Quality of Service (QoS)
Storage Temperature (Handset only)
Wireless Regulatory Identification/Compliance (for WLAN radio):
United States/Canada: Hearing Aid Compatibility (HAC) as per FCC Part 68 and Industry Canada CS-03 Part V
Compliant at general availability to the Reduction of Hazardous Substances - RoHS (6 of 6) requirement as part of the European Union Environmental Directive (EUED)
Complies with CE Marking Requirements. This device complies with the essential requirements and other relevant provisions of Directive 1999/5/EC.
American Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant dialpad
There are changes in the propagation channel, the dynamic rate switching algorithm will automatically step up or down to an optimum rate that allows for reliable transmissions at the highest possible bit rate.
**Levels are configurable by Administrator. Available power levels may vary based on regulatory domain.
***Frequency ranges and channels may vary for certain countries to meet the appropriate regulatory restrictions.
****Local regulatory requirements and good wireless network design will limit the number of usable channels available in any particular installation.